The period of valid certification is three years from the date of approval by the AFE Certification Board. At the end of each three- year period, the Certified Plant Engineer (CPE) must establish eligibility to recertify, by achieving eight (8) credits as defined below. The CPE must complete an AFE Renewal Application and remit the appropriate fee. A certification renewal application will be mailed to each CPE prior to the end of the respective certification year. A copy of the application is available online (www.afe.org) or by contacting the AFE Certification Department at (571-395-8777).
Renewal credit may be obtained through one or more of the following avenues but not limited to:
CPEs will receive one credit for each year of employment in plant/facilities engineering. Employment in positions with titles other than “plant engineer,” that are acceptable for engineering employment credit for certification, are also acceptable for renewal credit. The employment year must be after the original certification or last renewal date, whichever came last. The CPE will furnish employment verification as requested on the renewal application.
One (1) renewal academic credit is granted for each ten (10) contact hours of subject material from within the CPE body of knowledge in a class, conference, seminar, or research. A one-day course that includes at least five, but less than ten, contact hours in class, conference, seminar, or research, will receive one half credit.
The CPE can receive academic credit for the following activities:
• Completion of a course on a plant/facilities engineering subject, either as a teacher or student.
• College level courses taken for degree, and/or advanced credits.
• College level continuing education courses (non-degreed work).
• Professional engineering association/society courses.
• Plant/facilities engineering educational conferences and seminars (national, regional, and/or local).
• Government-sponsored conferences, seminars, or courses.
• Engineering correspondence courses, provided a test and passing grade are required for completion achieved
• Company-sponsored courses, taught by a technically competent instructor.
A CPE can earn one-tenth (0.1) credit each for the following professional activities:
• Presentation of a paper or talk on a plant/facilities engineering or maintenance subject before a national or regional engineering meeting or conference.
• A paper or talk is an oral presentation on an engineering subject related to plant facilities engineering. The presentation should be at least 60 minutes in length. The presentation must be scheduled as an official part of a planned program.
• A paper converted to electronic media and uploaded to the AFE.org web site.
Other Approved Activities
If a CPE feels participation in a maintenance or engineering activity has increased their proficiency as a CPE and/or has kept him/her current in the profession, application may be made to the Certification Board for special recertification credit. Sufficient details of the activity must be forwarded for the Certification Board to make a valid judgment. From time to time, the Certification Board may also recognize special activities related to the maintenance profession for CPE renewal credit.